About the New South Wales Chamber of Fruit & Vegetable Industries Inc.
Freshmark, The NSW Chamber, as it is commonly known, traces its origins to the 1880s and has existed in its present form since 1935. The Chamber represents wholesalers, exporters, providores and other supporting service providers who operate from Sydney Markets, the largest Central Fruit & Vegetable Markets in the Southern Hemisphere.
The Chamber provides a comprehensive range of representative, administrative, training and support services for its Members.
‘Representing, protecting and promoting our members and the fresh produce industry.’
The Chamber provides a united voice for its members in:
- Dealings with Government, politicians, industry groups and other organisations about industry issues.
- Liaison with all sections of the fruit and vegetable industry for the orderly and effective marketing of growers’ products.
- Representing members on industry and Government committees at local, state and national level.
- Representing members’ interests on Markets matters with Sydney Markets Limited.
- Speaking out on behalf of members concerning news stories about fresh fruit and vegetables, the critical importance of the Central Markets and the industry.
The Chamber provides secretariat services for a number of industry committees and industry bodies including grower organisations.
The Chamber is actively involved in promoting the fruit and vegetable industry through:
- Annual events such as the Mango and Cherry auctions, Sydney Markets Race Day and Chamber Dinner Dance.
- The Everybody’s Body, Your Local Greengrocer project, funded by voluntary contributions from a large group of Chamber members and retailers, which uses radio and other media to encourage consumers to shop at their local greengrocer (www.yourlocalgreengrocer.com.au).
- Commitment to Sydney Markets’ Fresh For Kids project, which promotes the benefits of fresh fruit and vegetables to the school children of NSW (www.freshforkids.com.au).
- Media liaison, media releases and opportunities to present to industry and other groups about the importance of the industry and the Central Markets.
- Promoting members’ businesses through the Sydney Markets Directory, the Australian Chamber Yearbook and (www.freshmarket.com.au).
The Chamber actively supports:
- FreshTest®, the largest, most comprehensive testing program in Australia for residue and microbial testing of horticulture produce.
- Freshcare, the national, on-farm food safety program for the fresh produce industry.
- Voluntary HACCP based safe quality food certification for its members.
- Presentation of balanced views on food safety issues through key industry spokespersons.
The Chamber provides a comprehensive range of industrial services to members including:
- Employer representation for the Wholesale Fruit and Vegetable Employees (State) Award.
- Membership and assistance from the Australian Federation of Employers and Industries (AFEI), with access to highly skilled specialists on industrial issues.
- Advice and assistance on Award and employment issues.
- Representation to Government, the Industrial Commission and unions on behalf of members.
Services for Members
The Chamber can:
- Save members through its corporate membership of the Qantas Club.
- Provide a ‘one stop shop’ and special Greenslip Insurance rates for forklifts, cars, trucks and other vehicles.
- Through the Markets Motor and Markets Protect Insurance schemes, save members on their comprehensive motor vehicle insurance and business insurance.
- Save members considerable time, effort and cost through its fully automated LPG refilling service with discounts for members.
- Provide advice and assistance with their Markets electricity accounts
saving members considerable cost.
The Chamber has established a charity, the Sydney Markets Foundation, which supports many charitable causes and needy individuals. Donations to the Foundation are fully tax deductable.
Sydney Markets Credit Service
The Chamber supports Sydney Markets Credit Service; established to manage the day to day transactions between buyers and wholesalers.